I happened across some pictures of 'eye spy' bags on the internet many months ago. Ever since then I've been meaning to come up with a pattern to make one of my own. I finally got around to it the other day. It took a bit of experimenting (including almost finishing one before I realised that the plastic was too thick to topstitch through!) but I'm very happy with how this one has turned out. There's a layer of plastic on the front and the back so it is surface washable (very important in our house as everything seems to get grubby from little hands!)
The idea behind 'eye-spy' bags is that kids have to look in the window and move the rice around inside to find 'trinkets' which can be easy or hard depending on the size of each trinket! There's a laminated list attached to a ribbon on the bag that tells the kids what to find. I made it in the hopes that the kids would use it in the car on long trips but it didn't quite work that way. They were very interested in doing it when I first made it but then ended up losing interest before our 5 hour trip to Hotham!!