Friday, January 3, 2014

Homemade Washing Powder


We've been making our own washing powder for well over a year now (and it's probably been about that long since I've been meaning to blog about it too!)  Anyway, I am finally getting around to posting the recipe.  It works really well.  Sometimes I find that the soap in it doesn't dissolve entirely but that is because we generally wash in cold water.   The original recipe calls for borax but I prefer to use bicarb. All our family has very sensitive skin usually due to the extra 'perfumes' and added nasties in commercial washing powders so this homemade powder works really well for us.

Homemade Washing Powder

Ingredients
2 cups grated Velvet soap (2 bars)
1 cup lectric soda
1/2 cup bicarb

Method
Grate soap finely in Thermomix (about 30 seconds on speed 8).  Add in lectric soda and bicarb and buzz in Thermomix until evenly combined.  Use one scoop per load (I use a scoop that is roughly 25gms) 

One batch of washing powder lasts me a month.  I do at least one load of washing a day.  At roughly $3 per batch it works out as a much cheaper option than most commercial washing powders! 

5 comments:

Sue Walker said...

No Thermomix though! How else could we grate it you think? I would like to give a try as we tried Soap nuts and no good at getting stains out, also Narelle, we have a greywater system so all water gets put back onto the garden would this mix go ok on the plants, currently we use the Earths Choice liquid wash.

Narelle said...

If you have a good food processor you can do it in there. Or by hand ;) The finer it is though, the easier it will dissolve in the wash. Velvet soap is pretty basic so it *should* be ok on the garden. But don't quote me on that!! I can tell you the ingredients if you like? Funnily enough, we have tried soapnuts and found them exactly the same. They were also quite expensive in comparision to this powder too!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Wash Wash said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Charlene said...

Hi Narelle! Thanks SO much for the recipe! Ive been eying it off for ages! I finally (just now!) finished the washing powder I bought in bulk and have made this (also just now!). I can't wait to try it out on the next load of washing :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails