Sunday, August 12, 2012

Week 32 of Craft Project a week: Wheat bags Part 1


 Before I begin this post I will need to give you a bit of background.  Many of you are aware that I am a volunteer breastfeeding counsellor with the Australian Breastfeeding Association.  My role is quite varied.  At the moment I do counselling on our National Helpline, and am co-group leader of our local group as well as undertake a number of jobs within our group.  I love being able to provide support to fellow breastfeeding mums as well as provide education within the community of the importance of breastfeeding.  Anyway, I digress!

The Victorian Branch of the Australian Breastfeeding Association has their head office in Dandenong and as part of their services offer a 'drop in' centre where mums who are experiencing breastfeeding problems can drop in and get some guidance from one of our counsellors.  It's been operating for a few years now and they've had great success in helping and giving support to new mums.  I suspect that's largely due to the wonderful and very experienced counsellor who manages the centre!

Recently it was mentioned that it would be lovely if mums who were experiencing common problems such as engorgement and mastitis could actually take home a wheat bag.  They have access to wheat bags at the centre but could not take them home.  The suggestion was that perhaps some people involved in the ABA could make them and donate them to the centre.  So I set out on a mission to make some wheat bags that I could donate (even if it was only on a small scale!)

I actually got a wheat bag for my birthday so I simply copied the design which was relatively straightforward.  I used some old scraps of material to make the cover (basically just like a pillow case!) and ended up making four covers in about an hour maximum.  Of course, it helps a lot to have an overlocker ;)

Next week I will make the actual wheat bags to go in the covers - easy! 

1 comment:

Related Posts with Thumbnails