Tuesday, September 21, 2010

I want

I am not a materialistic person. In fact, I would go so far as to say that I am quite the opposite. We don't have a big house. We only have one car. We don't keep up with the latest fashion trends. We're not obsessed with having the latest gadgets. I truly believe that what matters in life is that we are happy and healthy. That our children are nurtured and brought up with respect and gentleness.

It's just that sometimes I am consumed with this strange desire to acquire stuff! I don't know whether it's just me or whether it happens to everyone but sometimes I just sit here dreaming of having a bigger house or will find myself browsing through online catalogues for cute clothes for the kids. Often when I go to other people's houses I will look around and think 'oh, I wish we had that' and I feel that tiny bit of jealousy creep in.

The truth is we don't need this stuff. Nor do we have the money to buy it! So why do I feel like this? Maybe it's to do with the way the world works. Having stuff is often seen as a sign of success. That big house, two cars, the latest clothes, and so on. But the truth is, it doesn't always make you happy!

Of course, surrounding yourself with people who have the same sorts of thoughts as you helps a lot. I remember a conversation I had with another girl when I used to go to Mother's Group. This was when they were talking about reducing the baby bonus. She was complaining because if it was reduced they wouldn't be able to upgrade to a bigger car (they already had two cars, including a 4WD, as well as a big house AND a rental property!) I, on the other hand, was planning on using the majority of my baby bonus money to pay for my homebirth. Needless to say, I stopped going to that group pretty quickly!

I guess it's always going to be a natural instinct for me to want more. But I need to look at the positive side to not having more. A bigger house would mean more cleaning. Another car would mean more money spent on rego and insurance. The latest fashion would mean that I'm not getting that 'one of a kind' item of clothing that comes from scouting the op shops.

Those are good enough reasons for me at the moment.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails